Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
from taste of the south, very good!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 medium green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 9 inches pie shells
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- prick bottom of piecrust with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes; set aside.
- in a bowl mix up topping ingredients unitll crumbly.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat on stovetop. Add tomatoes and 3/4 cup sugar; cook for 25 minutes, stirring constantly until tomatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Stir into tomato mixture.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla; cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Pour into baked pie shell and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until crust and topping are golden brown. Let set 6 to 8 hours before cutting.