Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe looks complex but it's not hard to prepare and theyre truly some of the most delicious enchiladas I've even had in my whole life. Recipe comes from a restaurant in Sante Fe. Just grit it out and I promise you a dish thats so mouth watering and so very good your family and friends will be begging you to make them alot more often (And so will your mouth ;)
- 7 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 10 poblano peppers (These are somewhat mild chilis, Slim Jims are even milder)
- 1 large onion, slivered thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 bunch cilantro (Chopped)
- 1 package boneless skinless chicken, cut into strips and marinaded in the
- 1 fresh lime, juice of
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin, plus more to taste
- corn tortilla (MUST be corn tortillas as flour will turn to mush in this)
- 1 package monterey jack cheese
- 1 package sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup water
- First preheat oven to 450.
- Place all your chilis on a baking sheet leaving space so theyre not touching.
- Roast chilis for 20 minutes or until blackened but not burnt to a cinder.
- Remove from oven and seal chilis in a plastic bag and allow to steam in the bag for 20 minutes.
- Remove chilis and remove as much of the outer skin as possible and ALL the seeds must be removed as well, wear gloves as the capsicum will burn from the seeds.
- Slice chilis into strips then cut strips in half.
- Next add the chilis, tomatoes, onions, garlic,salt, cumin and 1 bunch of the Cilantro to a large pot along with 1/2 cup of water.
- Simmer under medium heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When sauce is done preheat oven to 350.
- Then roast the marinaded chicken for 20 minutes or until done, cover pan with foil to ensure it doesnt dry out.
- Leave oven on after chicken is out.
- Next grease lightly a 13 x 9 deep pan.
- After sauce is prepared its time to assemble the enchiladas.
- Mix both cheeses together in a bowl.
- Have your sauce, cheese and tortillas near the microwave.
- Place 3 tortillas at a time in the microwave and nuke for 30 seconds to soften them (Or they'll crack and break while assembling).
- Place 1 tablespoon of sauce into center of each tortilla and spread around, place one tablespoon of cheese down center of each tortillas then roll loosely and place folded side down in pan then repeat till pan is completely full, feel free to lightly pack them in there.
- Next layer the chicken over the top evenly, sprinkle a half handful of cheese over the chicken.
- Ladle remaining sauce over the chicken (If theres alot left then pour on a healthy heap of the sauce and reserve the rest).
- Next layer all the cheese on top (If your like me feel free to load up a nice and healthy artery clogging thick layer of xtra cheese).
- Place pan in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Take out allow to cool 5 minutes and cut into portions with a spatula.
- Sprinkle each serving with Cilantro and enjoy some truly mouth watering enchiladas.