Recipe by acm6404
courtesy alohaworld.com First had this dish at a little Filipino Mom and Pop Restaurant on Moloka'i. This is local style comfort food to the max!
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 -3 lbs whole chickens, parts cut into bite sized portions, remove skin
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 3 -4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
- papaya, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add the onions and saute until transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and saute another 5 minutes to partially cook and lightly brown.
- Add the fish sauce and stir well.
- Add water to cover the chicken and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 25-30 minutes, stirring and skimming off fat and scum occasionally.
- Add cubed papaya and simmer another 5-10 minutes until papaya is tender.
- Remove from heat, salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chopped spinach.
- This dish will be soupy when done.