Chef #415573's Note:
courtesy alohaworld.com First had this dish at a little Filipino Mom and Pop Restaurant on Moloka'i. This is local style comfort food to the max!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 -3 lbs whole chickens, parts cut into bite sized portions, remove skin
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
- 3 -4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
- papaya, cubed
- 1Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- 2Add the onions and saute until transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic and ginger and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add the chicken pieces and saute another 5 minutes to partially cook and lightly brown.
- 5Add the fish sauce and stir well.
- 6Add water to cover the chicken and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer 25-30 minutes, stirring and skimming off fat and scum occasionally.
- 8Add cubed papaya and simmer another 5-10 minutes until papaya is tender.
- 9Remove from heat, salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chopped spinach.
- 10This dish will be soupy when done.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Papaya Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (557 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.5
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 106.9 mg
- Sodium 799.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 25.9 g