Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From 'artichoke to za'atar', posted for ZWT6.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 lemon, zested, then juiced
- 1 3⁄4 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups cilantro leaves
- 5 eggs
- 10 saffron threads, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan, then add the onion and sweat until it is softened (about 2 minutes).
- Add the garlic and chilis, and cook until fragrant.
- Add the lentils, allspice, honey, lemon juice and zest, and stock. Season with salt and pepper, then bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, and simmer for about 45 minutes, until the lentils are very tender.
- Remove from the heat and add the cilantro leaves. Let rest, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Use a blender or food processor or immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Taste, and add salt or pepper as needed. If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock or water to thin it.
- Gently combine the eggs, saffron, cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat, add the eggs, and cook until they are very softly scrambled.
- To serve, bring the soup back to a boil, then pour into serving bowls. Top with a spoonful of the scrambled eggs, and if desired, garnish with a few cilantro leaves and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.