Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A tasty side for simple grilled chicken or meat. Being gluten-free I tend to eat a lot of rice and this makes for a great change. I love the peppery flavour of coriander. Use a gluten-free stock to make this recipe suitable to a gluten-free diet (I like to use Massell brand )
- 1 large green capsicum, roughly chopped and seeds removed (green bell pepper)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, leaves only (cilantro)
- 1⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 2 teaspoons virgin olive oil or 2 teaspoons macadamia nut oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 600 ml boiling chicken stock or 600 ml boiling vegetable stock
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped (to garnish)
- Place the capsicum, onion, garlic, coriander and parsley in a food processor. Blend to a fine paste. If you dont have a processor- chop ingredients as finely as possible or use a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and oil. Add the rice and fry gently for 2 to 3 minutes- until the grains become translucent.
- Quickly stir the herb paste into the rice. Continue to cook over heat for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the boiling stock and season with pepper. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 10- 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the stock has been absorbed. Watch closely after the 10 minute mark and add some extra water if more liquid is required.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand , with the lid covered for a few minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork to seperate the grains and serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves or sprigs.
Made this for dinner tonight. The rice had a very nice flavor and went well with the chicken I fixed in the crock pot. It is so versatile...it would go wonderful with a Mexican meal as well as with beef, chicken, or pork. I will definitely be making this recipe again soon. Thanks for posting Jubes. Made and reviewed for the 49th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
This was very tasty and super simple to make. I added a green chilli to the paste as I had one lonely one sitting in the vegie crisper.
Very nice flavor, I served this with roasted chicken and the family enjoyed. Made for Aussie/NZ RS#32.