Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Greek style dish that turns ordinary green beans into something special.
- 750 g green beans
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups hot water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon savory
- Clean the beans and cut in half. Juice the lemon. Chop the onions and parsley; reserve 1/2 cup parsley for garnish.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Layer the beans, onions, breadcrumbs,lemon juice, salt, pepper and herbs in the pan ending with a layer of beans.
- Add the hot water and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Garnish with reserved parsley and cool.
These were very tasty beans. I really like the addition of savory, nice change. Wasn't sure what to expect with the breadcrumbs, but it all worked really well together. Depending on how you like your beans, 30 mins could be overdone for you...might shorten that up a bit next time. Nice and easy, thanks Ballarat!