Recipe by Chef Kate
From Jack Bishop’s Vegetables Every Day. Very pretty all green or with a mix of green and yellow beans.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
This was easy and a real crowd pleaser. I added the optional walnuts but skipped any more salt. The green beans were placed in an ice water bath after draining to stop them from cooking any further. Colorful, delicious and easy-what more could I ask? Reviewed for Veg Tag/June.
- 1 lb green beans, green and yellow, ends snapped off
- 2 medium tomatoes, ripe (about one pound)
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring several quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the beans and salt to taste. Cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, shake dry and then spread out over a clean towel so they dry quickly. Let the beans cool to room temperature.
- Combine the tomatoes, shallot, oil, lemon juice, parsley and pepper to taste in a large serving bowl.
- Add the beans and adjust the seasonings, using salt sparingly.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over the salad and serve immediately.
- Variation: Use 1 tablespoon walnut oil and 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle the salad with 1/3 cup toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts and crumbed goat cheese (instead of the feta) just before serving.