Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I serve this rich, creamy side dish on special occasions. This recipe comes from the Sunset Cookbook of Favorite Recipes II.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Squeeze out as much moisture from spinach as possible; set aside.
- Drain artichokes, reserving 2 tablespoons of the marinade; chop artichokes and set aside.
- Heat reserved marinade with butter in a wide frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft.
- Stir in spinach, artichokes, nutmeg, oregano, soup, eggs and pepper.
- Spoon spinach mixture into a greased shallow 2-quart casserole or baking dish, spreading evenly.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat cream cheese with parmesan cheese and milk; spread evenly over spinach mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 325° oven for 35 minutes or until center feels firm when lightly touched.