1/1 Photo of Greek Tzatziki Sauce
This is a delicious sauce that can be used in many Greek recipes. We like to use it when making gyros, or other Mediterranean recipes that are wrapped in pitas. It tastes just like the sauce we've had in restaurants such as "Hell's" in Tarpon Springs in Florida. It's a funny name, but the restaurant is known for having some of the best Greek food and Greek pastries in Florida.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces plain yogurt (or Greek yogurt, if your store carries it)
- 1/2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and finely chopped or 1/2 peeled grated cucumber
- 2 ounces sour cream
- 1 small pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 mint leaves, finely minced or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 1Place yogurt in a coffee filter or piece of cheesecloth, and place in a strainer over a dish. Let drain for 2-4 hours in the refrigerator. If using Greek yogurt you do not need to drain it, as it is already a thick consistency.
- 2Meanwhile, put the chopped or grated cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove liquid. Discard liquid. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and mix into the cucumber. Set aside 20 minutes. Rinse a little to wash out the extra salt, if you want to. Then squeeze again to express as much liquid as possible.
- 3Draining the yogurt and cucumber make for a thick and authentic consistency of tzatziki sauce.
- 4Combine the drained yogurt and cucumber, sour cream, pinch of salt, olive oil, red wine vinegar, mint and garlic. Note: we love garlic, so I tried adding more once. It made for an overpowering and almost bitter taste, so now I stick to only 1 clove.
- 5Place sauce in the refrigerator for 1 hour or more to meld flavors. Stir before serving. The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week. Makes 1 1/4 cups.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Tzatziki Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.9
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.7 mg
- Sodium 41.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: