1 hr 40 mins
This is a great recipe for using up your bland summer vegetables from the garden. You can use it with eggplant, summer squash, zucchini, or all the above! I found that it is easiest if you break the work into two days, starting on a day when you will already have the oven on for something else. In the recipe I state "zucchini," but use whichever vegetable you have instead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil or other fat
- 8 zucchini, approx 4-inch long
- 3/4 lb ground beef or 3/4 lb ground lamb
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1day one.
- 2coat zucchini with light coating of olive oil or other fat.
- 3roast zucchini in 400-450 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- 4meanwhile, in a large frying pan BROWN the meat on medium-high heat, but keeping it slightly undercooked.
- 5lower flame to medium, and add thyme, oregano, salt & pepper.
- 6chop onions & add.
- 7mince garlic & add.
- 8chop tomato & add.
- 9measure wine & deglaze with it.
- 10cool both the zucchini and meat mixture, & store in fridge til next day.
- 11day two.
- 12blend together: butter, breadcrumbs & cheese, and set aside.
- 13slice squash lengthwise, scoop center, chop the scooped zucchini "meat," & add to meat mixture.
- 14lay zucchini shells in a baking pan.
- 15add 1 egg and breadcrumbs to meat mixture.
- 16fill zucchini shells with meat mixture.
- 17top with breadcrumbs & cheese mixture.
- 18bake at 400 for 40 minutes or until crumb mixture is browned.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Style Stuffed Eggplant/Summer Squash/Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.4
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 136.9 mg
- Sodium 1083.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 31.0 g