Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is a great recipe for using up your bland summer vegetables from the garden. You can use it with eggplant, summer squash, zucchini, or all the above! I found that it is easiest if you break the work into two days, starting on a day when you will already have the oven on for something else. In the recipe I state "zucchini," but use whichever vegetable you have instead.
- olive oil or other fat
- 8 zucchini, approx 4-inch long
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef or 3⁄4 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- day one.
- coat zucchini with light coating of olive oil or other fat.
- roast zucchini in 400-450 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- meanwhile, in a large frying pan BROWN the meat on medium-high heat, but keeping it slightly undercooked.
- lower flame to medium, and add thyme, oregano, salt & pepper.
- chop onions & add.
- mince garlic & add.
- chop tomato & add.
- measure wine & deglaze with it.
- cool both the zucchini and meat mixture, & store in fridge til next day.
- day two.
- blend together: butter, breadcrumbs & cheese, and set aside.
- slice squash lengthwise, scoop center, chop the scooped zucchini "meat," & add to meat mixture.
- lay zucchini shells in a baking pan.
- add 1 egg and breadcrumbs to meat mixture.
- fill zucchini shells with meat mixture.
- top with breadcrumbs & cheese mixture.
- bake at 400 for 40 minutes or until crumb mixture is browned.