Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
These savory stuffed eggplants are rather simple to make and take advantage of fresh summertime fruit (eggplants and tomatoes are fruit).
- 2 small eggplants (aubergine)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons juice of one lemons
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash mace
- Scoop out the insides of the eggplant to within 1/4 inch of the edges. (Score with a sharp paring knige, then scoop out with spoon.) Set eggplant shells aside, and chop the inside. Meanwhile, start sauteing the onion in the olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. (You'll need to add the other ingredients later, so make it a large pan.).
- When onions are soft - about 10 minutes, add garlic and chopped eggplant, and more olive oil if needed (the eggplant will soak it up). Continue to saute for several more minutes, until the eggplant is cooked. Add tomato, cinnamon, basil and oregano.
- Remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add lemon juice and crumbled feta cheese, combining thoroughly.
- Lightly salt eggplant shells, then stuff them with the mixture, mounding it on top. (If you have leftover mixture, place in a greased casserole dish and bake alongside the eggplant.) Bake in 350°F oven for 35 minutes.
- Serve with Bechamel Sauce and chopped parsley for garnish.
- Bechamel Sauce -.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, stirring until combined. Slowly pour in milk, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Add spices with stirring.