These savory stuffed eggplants are rather simple to make and take advantage of fresh summertime fruit (eggplants and tomatoes are fruit).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 small eggplants (aubergine)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons juice of one lemons
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1Scoop out the insides of the eggplant to within 1/4 inch of the edges. (Score with a sharp paring knige, then scoop out with spoon.) Set eggplant shells aside, and chop the inside. Meanwhile, start sauteing the onion in the olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. (You'll need to add the other ingredients later, so make it a large pan.).
- 2When onions are soft - about 10 minutes, add garlic and chopped eggplant, and more olive oil if needed (the eggplant will soak it up). Continue to saute for several more minutes, until the eggplant is cooked. Add tomato, cinnamon, basil and oregano.
- 3Remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add lemon juice and crumbled feta cheese, combining thoroughly.
- 4Lightly salt eggplant shells, then stuff them with the mixture, mounding it on top. (If you have leftover mixture, place in a greased casserole dish and bake alongside the eggplant.) Bake in 350°F oven for 35 minutes.
- 5Serve with Bechamel Sauce and chopped parsley for garnish.
- 6Bechamel Sauce -.
- 7Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, stirring until combined. Slowly pour in milk, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Add spices with stirring.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Style Stuffed Eggplant
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 974.2
- Calories from Fat 676
- Total Fat 75.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.7 mg
- Sodium 982.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.8 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 19.0 g