Recipe by Melvin'sWifey
This is a light, healthy, and refreshing salad! I found this gem in the Cook's Illustrated "The Best Light Recipe" book and I have made it many times since. Basically you are just chopping things up and throwing them together in a bowl so even the kids can help with this one. Very tasty, and excellent served over a bed of greens and herb garlic pita chips. I've tweaked it ever so slightly. This salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Season with additional lemon juice, salt, pepper, and oil as needed before serving. Very easy clean up, and your salad is ready in less than 20 minutes.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
I just whipped up this healthy salad for our lunches tomorrow. Yum! It is really flavorful and easy to prepare. The only change I made was to add extra kalamatas and a little more feta. I already copied this down because I will make it again. Thanks!
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 small red onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup cucumber, peeled, and chopped (about 1/2 large cucumber)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves, minced
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, pitted and minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (use any variation)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, toss together chickpeas, onion, cucumber, mint, feta and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olives, mustard, oil, and garlic.
- Pour dressing into the large bowl with chickpeas and vegetables until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.