This is a light, healthy, and refreshing salad! I found this gem in the Cook's Illustrated "The Best Light Recipe" book and I have made it many times since. Basically you are just chopping things up and throwing them together in a bowl so even the kids can help with this one. Very tasty, and excellent served over a bed of greens and herb garlic pita chips. I've tweaked it ever so slightly. This salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Season with additional lemon juice, salt, pepper, and oil as needed before serving. Very easy clean up, and your salad is ready in less than 20 minutes.
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 small red onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup cucumber, peeled, and chopped (about 1/2 large cucumber)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves, minced
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons kalamata olives, pitted and minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (use any variation)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large bowl, toss together chickpeas, onion, cucumber, mint, feta and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olives, mustard, oil, and garlic.
- Pour dressing into the large bowl with chickpeas and vegetables until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I just whipped up this healthy salad for our lunches tomorrow. Yum! It is really flavorful and easy to prepare. The only change I made was to add extra kalamatas and a little more feta. I already copied this down because I will make it again. Thanks!
Very good salad. I added more kalamata olives and cucumbers. I also subbed basil for the mint and used one cup of it. Next time I will increase the lemon. Yum!
made this for lunch - halved the recipe and added a little more feta and kalamata olive. Also added more lemon juice and pepper. This was :yummy:!!! Made for Holiday Tag!