Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from a friend in New York who didn't remember where it originally came from. It is a great favorite at my folk dance parties. Serve over rice or couscous. Most of the prep time is take up peeling the *@!*& onions.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs mushrooms
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you don't want it strictly vegetarian)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed or minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 18 small white onions or 18 small white pearl onions
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and sauté mushrooms until they give off their liquid.
- Add wine, broth, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar and spices.
- Simmer for about 1/2 hour.
- Peel the onions and add to the stew.
- Simmer for about 1 hour.