Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Not your everyday spinach salad! Good things take time and this salad is worth every minute. Serve with grilled meat, chicken or fish and crusty bread for a fantastical dinner! Prep time does not include marination.
- 6 1⁄2 ounces halloumi cheese (or fresh Mozzarella)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 8 roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges,with base intact
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 6 ounces baby spinach leaves
- Cut cheese into 1/2 inch thick lenghtwise slices.
- Mix oil, garlic and herbs in a shallow dish, add cheese, cover and marinate 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- PLace onions and tomatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tbls of the extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbls balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, drain the cheese and cook for 1 minute each side or until golden brown.
- Divide spinach among 4 serving plates, top with toamatoes and onions.
- Whisk together the remaining oil and vinegar and drizzle over the salad.
- Top with Haloumi and serve.
This salad was fantastic! Even my 9 year old, who doesn't like tomatoes or cooked onions, liked it very much! My three year old even ate it happily, and he doesn't normally like spinach! I served it with grilled chicken breast that I'd marinated in balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano, marjoram, salt, and pepper. I plopped the chicken on top of the salad and then topped the chicken with the cheese. Fantastic! I will definitely be making this one again! Thank you!