1 hr 35 mins
This is a wonderful authentic tasting gyro recipe. We have never tasted any gyro this good! We now make them ourselves instead of going to gyro restaurants. This recipe comes from www.seriouseats.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the meat
- 1 lb ground lamb (or ground 85% lean ground beef, see note)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons picked fresh oregano leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 3 ounces thick slab bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces (or about 5 slices sliced bacon)
For the yogurt sauce
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced on microplane
- 1 lemons, juice of or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or 2 tablespoons mint
- 1Combine lamb, kosher salt, pepper, and oregano in medium bowl.
- 2Mix with hands until homogeneous.
- 3Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- 4Meanwhile, place yogurt in fine-mesh strainer set over small bowl.
- 5Allow to drain in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- 6Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 7Place cold mixture in bowl of food processor with onion, garlic, and bacon. Process until smooth puree is formed, about 1 minute total, scraping down sides with rubber spatula as necessary.
- 8Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- 9With moist hands, form meat mixture into a rectangle about 1-1/2 inches high, 8-inches long, and 5-inches wide.
- 10Bake until center of loaf reads 155 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer, about 30 minutes.
- 11Allow loaf to rest at room temperature for fifteen minutes (or refrigerate for up to a week—see note).
- 12Meanwhile, make sauce.
- 13Combine strained yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, and parsley; stir to combine.
- 14Season to taste with salt. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- 15Adjust broiler rack to highest position (about 1-1/2 to 2 inches from broiler element). Preheat broiler.
- 16Slice loaf crosswise into 1/8th to 1/4-inch strips (each strip should be about 5-inches long and 1-1/2 inches wide).
- 17Lay strips on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- 18Broil until edges are brown and crispy, about 2 minutes.
- 19Tent with aluminum foil.
- 20Warm bread by placing on a rimmed baking sheet and broiling until soft and pliant, about 45 seconds per side.
- 21Spread 1/4 cup of sauce over each piece of bread.
- 22Divide meat evenly between sandwiches.
- 23Top as desired, wrap with foil, and serve.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek American Lamb Gyros
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 681.1
- Calories from Fat 390
- Total Fat 43.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 107.1 mg
- Sodium 1565.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 28.8 g