I got this recipe from the weekly circulars here in Germany. It is so easy, and your guests will think you are a four star chef when they taste it! It is a done deal in less than 45 minutes. Definitely a keeper!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (8 ounce) fresh duck breasts
- 2 oranges
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate syrup (could substitute raspberry syrup)
- 4 small red onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup duck stock (could substitute a good,low sodium broth)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons good port wine or 3 tablespoons a good sweet sherry
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 pinch cayenne (or a lot more if you are a chile head!)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Peel the orange and seperate the slices. Deseed the pommegranate.
- 3Every inch or so on the skin side of the breast, make a slice through the skin, just until you reach the meat, be careful not to slice all the way through.
- 4Cook the duck breast skin side down over medium high heat in 2 TB oil until the skin is golden brown, about 10 minutes, be careful not to burn it. Flip it over and cook for only one minute. Remove from pan, drizzle the syrup on the meat side and put in the oven, skin side down. Cook it in the oven for 15 more minutes.
- 5Meahwhile, drain all except 1 TB fat from the pan. Thinly slice the red onion, and garlic, and sautee in the left over fat until soft, but not browned.
- 6Add the fond, or broth, and the orange juice. Thicken with corn starch dissolved in a little bit of cold water.
- 7Add the orange slices and pommegranate seeds. Turn down heat and keep it warm, do not boil!
- 8Add the port wine, coconut milk, and the salt and pepper, and cayenne to taste. Slice the duck breast and pour the sauce over it to serve.
Browse Our Top Duck Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Great Breast of Duck
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.8
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 231.2 mg
- Sodium 149.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 44.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: