Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from Pan American's Complete Round the World Cookbook. Posted for ZWT6.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 7 cups beef stock
- 1 cup buttered crouton
- 1⁄4 cup grated swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a deep saucepan.
- Add flour and stir well.
- Cook over low heat until deep brown, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add stock, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Top with croutons and grated cheese.
Made this as posted as it made for a good soup. Loved the cheese, but thought it could of used some other seasoning perhaps. We enjoyed though. Made for Holiday tag.
I made half the recipe and this is a very easy soup. I had homemade beef stock in the freezer, low sodium but seasoned well.Very economical but rich tasting! Thanks for sharing Chocolatl. Made for Everyday Is A Ho;iday.