Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
*This recipe is a personal treasure* ! The literal translation of the Icelandic word *Gravlaxsosa* is "smoked (or pickled) salmon sauce", but its versatility widens its use horizons. When I 1st came to Iceland & tasted this, I was in love for a lifetime. I've always bought it in commercially prepared jars, but only just recently acquired the recipe for it. I promise you will adore this easy-fix taste sensation! (Time does not include overnight refrigeration)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (a sweet variety)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 7 ounces olive oil
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- In a 3 cup or larger bowl, whisk the 1st 8 ingredients to combine.
- Gradually add olive oil in a stream & whisk to combine well. Add salt & pepper to taste & refrigerate for 24 hrs to allow flavors to blend.
- NOTE: I use a wide-mouth jar w/screw-on lid + my immersion blender to make & store this in a single step.
- TO SERVE: Simplicity is the most-favored presentation - as a bruschetta-type appy where 1/2-in slices of baguette bread are spread w/cream cheese, topped w/very thinly sliced smoked salmon & then this sauce is spread over the salmon slices. A few tiny capers can be centered as an opt garnish.
- HINT: For never fail perfect slicing of smoked salmon, freeze the salmon to a near frozen state & use your sharpest knife to shave slices of desired thickness.
Yummy, what a great sauce. Loved it with salmon and cream cheese and will be looking for other ways to use it. Thanks! Made for ZWT 2013.
Delicious and utterly addictive! I absolutely love smoked salmon and this sweet sauce was different from anything I've ever paired it with before. I will be enjoying this one again and again! Thanks for a wonderful recipe. Made for ZWT 6 :)
You were right, absolutely a wonderful tasting sauce, that I didn't even want to put it on, just eat it straight!! :) (with a spoon). I made this yesterday, and I am surprised there is any left for my smoked salmon. There is just absolutely nothing I would change and didn't. Thanks for such a traditional taste of Iceland! Made for ZWT6.