Recipe by Member #610488
Fairly easy since most of the time involved is cooking time. Speciality of the kitchens of the Hotel Splendid, Bordeaux, France as noted in the newspaper clipping in my grandmother's recipe box.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 scallions
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh ground
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper, fresh ground
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cut potatoes into paper thin slices. Rinse with cold water and drain. Peel and mince garlic. Trim and mince scallions.
- In a bowl, stir together garlic, scallions, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 300°F
- Butter a 3- to 4-quart heatproof baking-serving dish. Put a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle with the scallion-garlic mixture.
- Repeat 4 times, finishing with a layer of potatoes. Pour in just enough half-and-half to cover the potatoes. Cover the dish and set over very low heat on the stove for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, dot with butter, and bake until potatoes are tender, about 2 ½ hours.