Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is NOT my kinda cookie. I like a doughy, chewy, soft BIG cookie, BUT everyone in my family adores these little hard crunchy cookies and I have to admit, I love them too! Even when my Grandmother was older and had a hard time getting around, she'd make these from scratch and mix them together by hand (for the last part). To make life easier, she would make the dough the first day, chill it overnight and bake the next. They are ONLY great straight out of the freezer. With a cup of tea? Wonderful and just how GG (Gran) used to enjoy them. A Christmas or birthday didn't go by without receiving a bag of these straight from the freezer and I plan to continue that legacy.
- Beat butter, sugar, egg, water and vanilla together til creamy.
- Sift together flour, salt and soda.
- Add to creamed mixture and blend well.
- Stir in oats, walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Put in fridge and chill overnight.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheet (don't use a silpat, just a greased sheet -- they didn't have silpats way back when!).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool and store in plastic bag in freezer.
- Eat straight from freezer-delish.
Pardon my language but... holy crap!!! These are PERFECT! My husband's favorite in the world (wanted them for his birthday). I didn't add nuts or chocolate and they were amazing. I usually add cinnamon to my oatmeal cookies but these have a lovely buttery/caramely flavor. Thanks so much for this!
These are refrigerator cookies! Made a batch and just realized the dough should be refrigerated overnight. Hubby requested oatmeal cookies for tonight, so I baked them for 10 minutes and they still taste good.
These are so good they're BAAAAAAD! Cant stop sneaking back for one more. Easy too. Made a bit of a mistake and made the cookies too big - the batter came out the fridge looking almost solid. When I started to cook I ended up with one MASSIVE square cookie, but I cut it up as it was cooling and it is now perfect and crispy. Thanks Liza- my first success at oatmeal cookies !!