1/12 Photos of Granola Bars
Mary Scheffert's Note:
I got this recipe from my sister-in-law. With so many ways to vary this recipe, I've never made them the same way twice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups oats (old-fashioned)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup chopped dates (or a combination of both) or 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit (or a combination of both)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, whatever you prefer)
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine oats, sunflower kernels, coconut, flax seed meal, oat bran, dates/fruit and nuts.
- 2In a small sauce pan, melt margarine over medium-low heat.
- 3Add corn syrup, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and honey; stir to combine.
- 4Increase heat to medium and stir occasionally.
- 5Meanwhile spray a 13x9 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- 6Measure out a sheet of foil large enough to cover pan.
- 7Spray foil with non-stick spray and set aside.
- 8Cook corn syrup mixture until it comes to a full boil; let boil for one minute.
- 9Remove from heat and pour over oat mixture.
- 10Stir to combine (mixture will be very stiff).
- 11Transfer mixture into prepared pan.
- 12Cover with prepared foil and PRESS FIRMLY.
- 13You want the mixture to be as compact as possible.
- 14I've even used a small cutting board to help press the mixture firmly& evenly (don't be afraid to stand on it!).
- 15When mixture is as firm and even as you would like, remove foil& let mixture cool.
- 16Cut into bars.
- 17Note: Don't be afraid to add, remove and/or substitute ingredients, such as chocolate chips, wheat germ, raisins, anything goes.
- 18I'd love to get some other suggestions!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Granola Bars
Serving Size: 1 (1475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.6
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 38.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 6.5 g