Recipe by Mims & Squims
With a cast iron skillet & without a bunch of sugar, my Granny makes the best cornbread in the world.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup egg white
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine corn meal, flour, salt, & baking powder.
- Combine beaten egg whites & milk, and then stir into corn meal mixture.
- Add shortening & mix well.
- Heat cast iron skillet & coat with shortening.
- Pour mixture into heated pan & bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.