Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Another one of my grandmother's incredible recipes. This was a special treat when I was a little girl.
Top Review by Kiwiwife
A chose this over other gingersnap recipes because frankly, every one of Ratherbeswimmin's recipes I have tried, are excellent. This one is no different. Very easy too! Not sure how crispy they will be because I tasted straight from the oven. Wonderful cookie, not too sweet and being the impatient baker that I am, I love that I don't have to wait for butter to soften! Thanks for posting!
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- additional sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar.
- Beat in the egg and molasses.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into balls.
- Dip one side of each ball into sugar; place with sugar side up on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crinkly.