Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Wonderful true southern dish. If the directions are followed to a T, it will be a taste of true southern heaven
- 6 -8 ears sweet corn (frozen may be substituted)
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- Shuck and desilk the corn. Rinse and using sharp knife, cut the kernels off the cob, scraping to get it all. Mix green pepper, flour, sugar, salt, and pepper together. Coat the corn with the flour mixture.
- Heat the shorting until 1 kernel dropped in sizzles.
- Fry until the corn is tender and the flour starts to brown.
- Stir often to prevent sticking.
- Hint: You may want to use a lid during cooking to help the corn to tenderize more evenly.
Very tasty, my roommate wolfed it down. I used frozen corn, and tried to do a "seat of the pants" reduction, mostly guessing at quantities -- may have used too much shortening. Still, very good!