1 hr 30 mins
No, really, my grandmother was Granny Smith. It is pure coincidence that her recipe uses Granny Smith apples. If you've got a good scratch crust recipe, use that. If you're lazy like me, or if you're countertop-space-challenged, also like me, use the crust that comes rolled in a box in the dairy section.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Peel, core and slice apples into 1/2" slices.
- 22. Unroll 1 pie crust, place in non-stick or greased metal pie pan. Prick with fork and prebake in 350F oven for about 10-15 minutes.
- 33. Cool crust a bit. Pile apples in bottom. Note they won't fit. Go up. Big pile. Trust me.
- 44. Pour sugar over apples. If you go a bit over a cup, I won't tell.
- 55. Cut butter into cubes or slices and dot all over top. Drizzel lemon juice and maple syrup (REAL maple syrup, not imitation or flavored.) over top. dust with cinnamon, nutmeg and the salt.
- 66. Unroll the other crust. Let it thaw for just a minute, then drape over the top of the pie. Carefull pinch to bottom crust. Cut vent slits in the top with a sharp knife in whatever design you like.
- 77. Place pie on a regular cookie sheet to catch bubble-over. Bake in 350F oven for about an hour. (If cooking in a convection oven, adjust according to oven directions).
- 88. Set on stove to cool. Threaten early death to anyone who even looks at it. When cooled but still warm, serve with natural vanilla ice cream drizzled with maple and chocolate syrups.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Granny Smith's Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 778.5
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 543.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 79.8 g
- Protein 4.2 g