Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a childhood memory from when I grew up in Germany. Over the years my Dad has added a touch to it here and there. My kids just love this dressing. It originally was tossed with Boston Bib lettuce, but you can use it on most greens.
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid maggi seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- chopped fresh dill (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- snipped chives (optional)
- 1 head boston lettuce
- In a jar with tight fitting lid, place first 7 ingredients.
- Shake until well combined.
- Wash and dry your greens.
- Tear into bite size pieces.
- Add dill, parsley and chives if using.
- Pour dressing over all and toss gently.
- Serve right away.
- Don't let it sit, or your salad will turn soggy.
- It can also be made omitting the garlic, but tastes better with it.
- Serving suggestion includes the lettuce.
I have a rather fondness for salad dressings, and not the bottled kind either. So with this said, "Grandpa" must be the "salad-dressing-angel" because this is a wonderful dressing for greens that makes the taste burst into very tasty bites of deliciousness. I followed this exactly, and tossed on Panzanella (Bread Salad), which just made me eat two helpings so I could slurp up the dressing until there was none left! Yummy! Made for Everyday is a Holiday May 2009
This is a FABULOUS dressing - and I know why! It is the Maggi seasoning, I have a German potato salad recipe that uses Maggi seasoning and the flavour is similar to this dressing. I added the optional parsley and we dressed a Batavia lettuce with this, and added some minced red onions and tomatoes. A lovely and very unique salad dressing, thanks Lori! FT:-)
This was such a different tasting dressing. Obviously it was the liquid maggi that was making the difference. Wow!! I just mixed it with some spring greens to have with my wrap. I too only used 1 tsp of sugar. I don't think I have ever used the Maggi either in anything and I loved it. I will be making this dressing again soon. Thanks for sharing your recipe Lori Mama we loved it.