Recipe by VickyNH52
Recipe passed down from my husband's grandmother
Top Review by Rollin in the Dough!
These were a big hit at a jewelry party I went to. I served them with recipe#25730 (delicious) I only had egg substitute on hand so I used that and they turned out great! I also added fresh ground pepper about 12 small grinds. Chilled for a bit, rolled out thin (didn't want soft), used a small round cookie cutter and sprinkled tops with sugar. I baked about 8-9 min. Perfect. Thanks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream first 4 ingredients until fluffy.
- Sift together the 6 dry ingredients and stir into molasses mixture.
- Form dough into small balls (1 inch diameter).
- Roll balls in granulated sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes.