Recipe by Colorado Lauralee
This is the recipe (my copy hand written) from my Grandmother Elsner. This recipe is likely more than 100 years old, and she always made this during the winter Holidays.
- 2 lbs lean beef
- 1 lb finely chopped suet
- 4 lbs tart apples
- 12 lbs chopped citron
- 3 lbs sugar
- 3 lbs currants
- 2 lbs raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons mace
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pint cider
- 1 pint canned fruit juice
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer the beef in a small quantity of water until tender, drain and cool.
- Chop and mix with beef broth.
- Pare and core and chop the apples and carefully pick over, wash and drain the dry fruits.
- Mix all ingredients except the oranges and lemons.
- Cook about 1 hour, in a preserving kettle over low heat, stirring to keep from scorching.
- Add the grated rind and juice of the oranges and lemons and mix well.
- Store in a stone jar and keep in a cool place.
- If it becomes dry add fruit juices.
- (Yield and prep time are guesses, let me know if you figure it out).