Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is the recipe (my copy hand written) from my Grandmother Elsner. This recipe is likely more than 100 years old, and she always made this during the winter Holidays.
- 2 lbs lean beef
- 1 lb finely chopped suet
- 4 lbs tart apples
- 12 lbs chopped citron
- 3 lbs sugar
- 3 lbs currants
- 2 lbs raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons mace
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pint cider
- 1 pint canned fruit juice
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- Simmer the beef in a small quantity of water until tender, drain and cool.
- Chop and mix with beef broth.
- Pare and core and chop the apples and carefully pick over, wash and drain the dry fruits.
- Mix all ingredients except the oranges and lemons.
- Cook about 1 hour, in a preserving kettle over low heat, stirring to keep from scorching.
- Add the grated rind and juice of the oranges and lemons and mix well.
- Store in a stone jar and keep in a cool place.
- If it becomes dry add fruit juices.
- (Yield and prep time are guesses, let me know if you figure it out).