Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is wonderful--simple ingredients and very easy to prepare. The total baking time is over 2 hours, so we like to start this early and time it to be finished, hot out of the oven, around halfway through a DVD movie. It makes a great intermission snack. The smell as the pudding cooks is so mouth-watering! Delicious served cold too, if there are any leftovers.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and set oven rack to a middle position.
- Butter or spray an oven-proof casserole dish (6 cup) with non-stick spray. Mix the milk, rice, sugar and salt in the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, for 2 hours at 300 degrees, stirring every 30 minutes. While mixture is in the oven, let raisins sit in a small bowl of warm water to soften them up.
- After two hours, drain raisins and add to pudding. Stir in the vanilla and nutmeg and bake another 30 minutes.
- (Depending on your preference, the consistency of the pudding can be firmed up with a little more rice, or less firm with more milk. Oven temperatures vary, so keep an eye on your pudding and adjust baking time accordingly.).