Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great recipe I found in Quick Cooking magazine years ago. It's very versatile and easy to throw together.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) sliced olives, drained
- 6 bacon, strips cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- In a a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain grease. Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, olives, bacon, chili powder, garlic powder and salt. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Add 1 cup of the cheese, stir until melted.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7x2 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with butter, sprinkle over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nice comfort food after a morning out shopping in the cold. Might add either some green chili's or taco seasoning to give it a bit more flavor, but a great base recipe. My daughter wants to make it again with a layer of re-fried beans on top. I agree, it would add even more than the breadcrumbs. Thanks Lisa! made for Went to the Market 2012.
This was a great hit with us and our company. I was hoping to have extra but it was gobbled up. Made as written and definately will make this again. Thank you for posting. Made for Fall PAC 2012.
Wonderful dish. It was great for our lunches at work/school. We all enjoyed it. I used red bell pepper. I didn't have corn and olives so I omitted them but I know it would be great. I don't like breadcrumbs with butter on any dish, so I omitted that part. Thanks linguinelisa :) Made for Market tag game