Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My favorite from grandma's house...
Make and share this Grandma's Oatmeal Drop Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- First, mix the following together thoroughly in a blender: shortening, eggs, sugar and molasses.
- ** I find its easier to measure the molasses when hot, so I stick the bottle in the microwave for a few seconds, and heat up my metal measuring spoon on the stove (careful).
- Second, in a separate bowl, sift together the following: flour, soda, salt and cinnammon.
- After these are sifted, slowly add them to the mixer with the ingredients from the first step.
- Mix until fairly smooth, no lumps.
- Fold in the oats and raisins.
- This is pretty tough on the mixer, so unless you have a good one, you may want to do this by hand.
- To bake, drop rounded teaspoonfuls (or whatever size cookies you want) on a lightly greased baking sheet, approx 2" apart.
- I like to press the center of the cookie down a bit, so it cooks evenly.
- Cook for approximately 8 minutes.
- Notes: The cookies should be very soft, and even look un-cooked when you take them out of the oven.
- -Don't worry, let them cool, and you'll be rewarded with an amazing, chewy, tasty cookie.
- -Of course, if you prefer hard cookies, cook approx 2 minutes longer, but I recommend the chewy version.