Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is another one of my Grandma's cookie recipes. She'd serve these along with an assortment of other cookies at Christmas.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (she always used Crisco)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup granulated sugar (approximately)
- Thoroughly mix wet ingredients together - - shortening, sugar, egg and molasses.
- Blend all dry ingredients together and then stir into the wet ingredients.
- Chill cookie dough for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into balls the size of large walnuts.
- Dip tips of balls into sugar.
- Place, sugared side up, 3" apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.