Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious summer treat!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts, baked
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar and cream of tartar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
This was great. Thanks! Made for PRMR!
Made this pie and I do agree with the other reviews it is the best. Son said it was the BOMB!!!!
This was extremely tasty. I made this Saturday night for dessert for our dinner guests. I have to admit, I did not use my oven, we were grilling out. I bought a pre-baked pie crust. My choices were either Keebler's graham crust or shortbread crust. I opted for the shortbread crust, other wise I followed the recipe.To brown the meringue topping, I used a kitchen torch. It was lovely and was enjoyed by all. Thank you for posting your Grandma's pie recipe. (Made for PRMR)