Prep 7 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my grandmother's recipe from Italy. It is wonderful. I have gotten rid of all other sauce recipes because this one is so good. It is also wonderful over rice and by itself. I love it because it tastes too good and is very filling so it lasts more than 2 meals.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 lbs ground beef round
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (28 or 32 oz)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 (4 ounce) jars whole mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Saute garlic, onion and bell pepper in oil until onion and pepper are translucent.
- Add beef to onion-pepper mix.
- Cook til you no longer see pink; drain well and then return to pot.
- Add tomatoes with juice, paste, chili powder and Worcestershire; mix well.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; mix well.
- Simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Serve over hot pasta.
- I like angel hair with this sauce--it gives it a unique texture.
- I use Georgio bottled mushrooms, Del Monte Tomatoes, Hunts Paste, Lea& Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, McCormick Chili powder.
- All the rest are fresh ingredients.
- This is an old family recipe.
- Once you taste it, you will never go back to any other sauce.
Very good pasta sauce! I cooked it on low all day in my crock pot after browning the ground beef in a skillet. Great comfort food, that I served with Italian whole wheat bread. In addition I added sliced white button mushrooms.
Grandma knows best! Easy and tasty. Would definitely make it again. Jan36