Recipe by Caryn
A recipe handed down by my maternal grandmother.
Top Review by triscuitnut
This is EXACTLY the recipe I was searching for that my own grandmother used to make in the 50's and 60's. I tried this particular recipe by Caryn and they came out beautifully. Very easy to make. Wouldn't change a thing!
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and shortening with brown sugar.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk; mix well.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden in color.
- Cool on wire rack.