Recipe by Cookin-jo
These are the cabbage rolls I grew up eating, very unlike the Ukrainian version and with a short ingredient list. Can be made the day before and reheated or frozen.
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup white rice, cooked. i use converted (measured prior to cooking)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup finely minced onion
- salt and pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Core the cabbage and put in a large microwave-proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 20 minutes, remove soft leaves and continue microwaving until all the usable leaves are soft. Stack the leaves as you remove them and cover.
- Mix the filling ingredients in a separate bowl and get your large casserole dish out. (You may need another small casserole dish).
- Place filling near the base of each cabbage leaf and roll up, placing seam side down in the casserole. Crowd the rolls as much as possible. Continue until you are out of filling.
- Spoon the tomato soup over the rolls evenly.
- Bake at 300-325 degrees for at least 2 hours, covering when they start to brown.
- I've guessed at the serving sizes since Grandma didn't tell me! And cabbage rolls do take a long time but are worth it all.