Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
This bread recipe was from my husband's grandmother. It is so simple to make and always comes out great. The original recipe did not have the vanilla in it, but I always add it. If I have bananas that are ripe, but I am not ready to make the bread, I just plop them in the freezer, peel and all. No need to put in a bag. They will turn black, but the insides will remain good and will be perfect for the bread. Just remove from the freezer, peel and add to the mixture.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 bananas, mashed (very ripe)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Grease a bread pan.
- Cream surage and shortening. Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- Blend in the dry ingredients and then the mashed bananas.
- Pour into the bread pan and bake for 50-60 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Note: I usually bake this in a medium sized casserole pan. Just watch the cooking time. It should be done in about 40-50 minutes.