Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Linda McCartney's cookbook.
- 177.44 ml butter or 177.44 ml margarine, softened
- 177.44 ml low-fat cream cheese
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 907.18 g apples, peeled,cored,sliced thinly
- 29.58 ml ground cinnamon
- 73.94-88.74 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter or margarine and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Work in the flour to make a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into two balls, wrap them, and chill them in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Mix the sliced apples with the cinnamon, sugar, and lemon juice, reserving a little sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one ball of pastry and use it to line a deep 10-inch pie dish.
- Bake the pastry blind (see note on baking blind).
- When the pie shell has cooled, fill it with the apples, piling them higher in the center.
- Roll out the other pastry ball thinly and gently lay it on top.
- Press the edges together, trim off any excess pastry, then mark the edges with a fork and prick the top of the pie several times.
- Mix the reserved cinnamon and sugar together, and sprinkle the mixture on top of the pie.
- Bake at 375 F for 35-40 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the apples have cooked.
- Note: Baking Blind: Baking blind, which partially cooks the pie shell, will ensure that it stays crisp under a liquid filling.
- Cover the pastry, including the rim, with aluminum foil to prevent it from rising.
- Weigh it down with baking beans (dried lima or butter beans are perfect).
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 400 F for 10-12 minutes (slightly less time if you are making small individual pie shells).
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 5 minutes or until the pie shell starts to color.
Mirj, This was my first made-from-scratch-pie. And it was delicious! And easy. I loved the crust - it was just right - tasty and flaky. Scrumptious! I will definitely make it again. Tracey