1/1 Photo of Grandma's Apple Pie
1 hr 20 mins
From Linda McCartney's cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium bowl, beat the butter or margarine and cream cheese together until smooth.
- 2Work in the flour to make a soft dough.
- 3Divide the dough into two balls, wrap them, and chill them in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- 4Mix the sliced apples with the cinnamon, sugar, and lemon juice, reserving a little sugar and cinnamon.
- 5Mix well.
- 6On a lightly floured surface, roll out one ball of pastry and use it to line a deep 10-inch pie dish.
- 7Bake the pastry blind (see note on baking blind).
- 8When the pie shell has cooled, fill it with the apples, piling them higher in the center.
- 9Roll out the other pastry ball thinly and gently lay it on top.
- 10Press the edges together, trim off any excess pastry, then mark the edges with a fork and prick the top of the pie several times.
- 11Mix the reserved cinnamon and sugar together, and sprinkle the mixture on top of the pie.
- 12Bake at 375 F for 35-40 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the apples have cooked.
- 13Note: Baking Blind: Baking blind, which partially cooks the pie shell, will ensure that it stays crisp under a liquid filling.
- 14Cover the pastry, including the rim, with aluminum foil to prevent it from rising.
- 15Weigh it down with baking beans (dried lima or butter beans are perfect).
- 16Bake it in a preheated oven at 400 F for 10-12 minutes (slightly less time if you are making small individual pie shells).
- 17Remove the foil and bake for a further 5 minutes or until the pie shell starts to color.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 473.3
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 61.9 mg
- Sodium 209.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 7.5 g