1/2 Photos of Grandma Perri's Stuffed Peppers
1 hr 10 mins
My Italian grandmother made these all the time, and it was the only way I knew stuffed peppers as a child. All of my aunts and my mother made this recipe and, when my mother became disabled, she taught my father how to make them! Over the years, I was introduced to traditional stuffed peppers with rice and broke with family tradition. However, I find that lately I am craving the peppers of my youth, so I consulted with my aunt and my father's written recipe to recreate this comfort food. Although ground beef is my grandmother's original ingredient, my mother did convert to ground turkey, which works just as well. I have made these twice now in the past week, and they are just as I remember them! They are very nice served over spaghetti or rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 green bell peppers
- 1 1/4 lbs ground beef or 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large garlic clove, minced finely
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese or 1 tablespoon grated romano cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup flavored breadcrumbs (I use Italian)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce or 3 cups homemade marinara sauce
- grated parmesan cheese or grated romano cheese
- 1Slice tops off peppers, seed and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, slowly heat olive oil in large Dutch oven, then add onion and let brown.
- 3While onion browns, mix together ground meat, salt and pepper to taste, garlic, parsley, basil, cheese, eggs, and breadcrumbs. Mix lightly; do not overwork. Divide meat mixture into six portions, gently roll and stuff into peppers.
- 4When onion is brown, add peppers and brown on all sides. After browning, stand peppers upright and pour marinara sauce over them. Simmer for 1 hour on the stove top. When almost done, remove lid and cut each pepper in half lengthwise, then continue cooking until done.
- 5Serve each pepper with some sauce spooned on top and sprinkled with some grated cheese.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma Perri's Stuffed Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (2431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 511.8
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 129.5 mg
- Sodium 735.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 25.7 g