Recipe by Nibblets
This delicious recipe came from my cookbook that I received while attending my family reunion. I remember my great grandma making this at the cottage when we were small. The smell is so nostalgic! This recipe can be cut in half if you wish.
- 30 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 8 medium onions, diced
- 3 sweet green peppers, diced
- 2 sweet red peppers, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 3 cups regular white vinegar (or cider, if preferred)
- 2 1⁄2-3 tablespoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons mixed pickling spices (tied in a bag of cheesecloth)
Directions See How It's Made
- Use only firm, ripe, red tomatoes. Scald skin, peel and chop tomatoes into large preserving kettle.
- Peel and dice onions. Dice peppers and celery. Add to tomatoes and pour in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a rapid boil; simmer, uncovered, until thick - about 3 1/2 hours.
- Pour into sterilized jars. Place lid tops and screw bands on and boil again for 10 minutes to pressurize and seal jars (you will know jars are sealed properly when the tops curve inward).
- Yields about 8 pints (12 500ml jars).
- Note: Prep time isn't included in the cooking time stated.