Recipe by NancyAnne
I never knew what carrot cake tasted like until Grandma sent me this recipe. I am allergic to nuts and had to make it myself to try it! Consequently I have nothing to compare it to, but I have had several people tell me it is the best carrot cake they've ever eaten. I even made it for our wedding cake.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is a yummilicious carrot cake and one of our family favourites. I have not tried the frosting, but I can definitely vouch for the taste of this cake! A real keeper :)
- 1 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- milk (just a little)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat together the oil, eggs, and sugar.
- Add the carrots and pineapple.
- Sift together and mix into the carrot mixture the flour, cinnamon, soda, and salt.
- Stir in the coconut and the nuts.
- Pour into an ungreased 9x13-inch pan and bake at 350F for 45 minutes. If you are using a glass pan, bake at 325°F.
- To make frosting, cream together the cream cheese and the margarine, then beat in the powdered sugar, and add just enough milk, if any, to make it a good spreading consistency.
- When cool, frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting.