Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My husband's grandmother's recipe. The best beef stew I've ever had. Serve with hot French bread or cornbread.
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef
- 2 cups water
- 20 whole black peppercorns, about
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce (or canned tomatoes if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- Simmer beef, 2 c.
- water, and peppercorns in dutch oven for about 2 hours.
- (NOTE: If you don't want to risk biting into a peppercorn, or picking them out at the end- take a small piece of cheesecloth, enclose the peppercorns and tie with string to close. Place this bundle directly in with the meat and water).
- Add potatoes, carrots and onions, and cook over medium-high heat at least 20 minutes more.
- Add tomato sauce and bouillion cube.
- Combine flour and warm water in a small bowl to make a paste.
- Add this to the stew.
- I like to cook at least 30 minutes to another hour before serving.