Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
If your waistline can take it, serve real whipped cream with this French-Canadian dessert.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries or 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch dried ginger
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch dried cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large deep saucepan, boil blueberries, sugar, ginger and water for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking powder; mix in butter with fingers or pastry blender.
- Add milk and stir until a uniform batter is formed.
- To prepare dough in a food processor: place flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking powder into bowl of food processor and mix for a few seconds; add butter and pulse a few times to blend; add milk while machine is running and stop the motor as soon as dough shapes into a ball around knife blade.
- Use a tablespoon to drop batter on top of blueberry sauce, cover, and simmer 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean.
These are sooooooo good! It was almost like a very easy blueberry pie when I served it warm over french vanilla ice cream. Definately a keeper. I plan to make this often and maybe even try it with some other kinds of fruits as well. Can you imagine this made with peaches?
i made this today and it was absolutely delicous! this is a keeper, will definitely make this again. try this, you will love it!
I doubled the recipe then poured the cooked fruit into a 9x13 pan and dropped the batter ontop.Baked it for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.Kids finished the whole pan before it had a chance to cool totally.Next time I'm going to try different fruit combos.This was soo good!!