Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 23 mins
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup ghee
- 1 pinch cumin seed
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh coconut, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 1⁄4 cups green peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- Soak chickpeas for at least 2 hours, drain and rinse.
- Bring to a boil in the water and add the salt and turmeric.
- Boil hard for 5 minutes and remove any scum that forms on the surface.
- Reduce heat and simmer until tender.
- This will take about 1 hour, but it can take longer if your peas are old.
- When tender, remove from the heat.
- Heat ghee in a large pot.
- Add cumin seeds, asafetida, ginger and bay leaf.
- Fry for a few seconds, stirring as the spices cook.
- Add the coconut, raisins and peas.
- Cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cooked chickpeas, followed by the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes and serve.