Bone Man's Note:
The original of this slightly modified recipe came from "Food and Wine" magazine. This appetizer or side dish makes several 3" patties and has it all -- it's healthy and light, wonderfully fast and easy to prepare, has a lot of eye appeal, cheap to make, and tastes incredible. I notice that most zucchini fritter recipes include cheese -- this one does not but the bright flavor certainly does not suffer for the lack of that particular ingredient. I use these zucchini fritters for my most high-end social/culinary occasions -- but I also love them for brunch with a glass of white wine. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb yellow zucchini (use small ones)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (for soaking zucchini)
- 2 quarts water (for soaking zucchini)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black peppercorns, freshly milled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 lemon wedges (garnish)
- 1Shred the zucchini squash on a box shredder (large side) or with a mandolin.
- 2In a medium bowl, mix the salt and water and allow the shredded zucchini to soak in the refrigerator for up to 45 minutes.
- 3In another medium bowl, mix the chopped parsley, minced garlic, and lemon zest. Drain, rinse, (cold tap water) and redrain the zucchini -- pat it dry with paper towels and add to the parsley mixture.
- 4Season the mixture with the table salt and pepper, then add in the beaten eggs and carefully stir in the flour to make a batter.
- 5In a medium-sized no-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, bring the olive oil up to temperature until you see some rippling. Then spoon in heaping tablespoons of the zucchini batter. Make about three per batch -- each one, after being mashed down a bit with a spatula should be about three inches across. Cook for about one minute per side (until golden brown) before turning.
- 6Place finished patties on paper towels to drain while finishing the remaining patties.
- 7Serve with lemon wedges as garnish, on the side.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gourmet Zucchini Fritters (No Cheese!)
Serving Size: 1 (676 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.0
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 568.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 6.6 g