Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
The original of this slightly modified recipe came from "Food and Wine" magazine. This appetizer or side dish makes several 3" patties and has it all -- it's healthy and light, wonderfully fast and easy to prepare, has a lot of eye appeal, cheap to make, and tastes incredible. I notice that most zucchini fritter recipes include cheese -- this one does not but the bright flavor certainly does not suffer for the lack of that particular ingredient. I use these zucchini fritters for my most high-end social/culinary occasions -- but I also love them for brunch with a glass of white wine. Enjoy!
- 1 lb yellow zucchini (use small ones)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (for soaking zucchini)
- 2 quarts water (for soaking zucchini)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black peppercorns, freshly milled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 lemon wedges (garnish)
- Shred the zucchini squash on a box shredder (large side) or with a mandolin.
- In a medium bowl, mix the salt and water and allow the shredded zucchini to soak in the refrigerator for up to 45 minutes.
- In another medium bowl, mix the chopped parsley, minced garlic, and lemon zest. Drain, rinse, (cold tap water) and redrain the zucchini -- pat it dry with paper towels and add to the parsley mixture.
- Season the mixture with the table salt and pepper, then add in the beaten eggs and carefully stir in the flour to make a batter.
- In a medium-sized no-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, bring the olive oil up to temperature until you see some rippling. Then spoon in heaping tablespoons of the zucchini batter. Make about three per batch -- each one, after being mashed down a bit with a spatula should be about three inches across. Cook for about one minute per side (until golden brown) before turning.
- Place finished patties on paper towels to drain while finishing the remaining patties.
- Serve with lemon wedges as garnish, on the side.
Fabulous light and tasty fritters. I served them with a dollop of sour cream and devoured them all.
These are so good! I served them with a Taziki dip and they were gone in minutes. The only change I made was to use an egg substitute.