Recipe by Clean Plate Club
The most decadent take on garlic bread I've ever come across. Appeared in Gourmet, December 1998 A recipe from Callahan's Cafe Zelda, Newport RI
- 1 large head of garlic
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup crumbled gorgonzola (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 baguette
Directions See How It's Made
- Garlic Oil:.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wrap garlic head in foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Carefully unwrap garlic and cool.
- Horizontally halve garlic head and arrange, cut sides down, in a small bowl with oil.
- Let mixture stand, covered and chilled, 2 to 3 days to infuse oil with garlic flavor.
- Preheat broiler.
- In a saucepan boil cream, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Add Gorgonzola and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
- Remove pan from heat and keep sauce warm, covered.
- Horizontally halve baguette and arrange, cut sides up, on a baking sheet.
- Broil bread 2 to 3 inches from heat until golden. (If crust is soft, you may broil crust side of baguette as well.)
- Brush cut sides of baguette with garlic oil and season with salt.
- Cut baguette crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Pour warm Gorgonzola sauce onto center of a large plate and arrange roasted garlic bread slices around sauce.