Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This came from the Hell's Kitchen Game.
- 1 lb center cut filet mignon
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 10 medium white mushrooms, roughly chopped
- butter, room temperature
- 1 sprig thyme
- bay leaf
- 3 egg yolks, whipped
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 pint brown chicken stock (or veal stock)
- 375 ml red wine
- 8 baby carrots, whole & peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- white pepper
- In a hot pan, sear the filet of beef on each side then brush with mustard and allow to cool.
- Rough chop and sauté the mushrooms. Season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place plastic wrap on a cutting board or flat surface. Place the beef on plastic wrap and cover with mushrooms.
- Use the plastic wrap to wrap the mushrooms around the beef and twist to secure firmly. Set in fridge for 10 minutes. Remove plastic wrap.
- Roll out pastry and wrap around the beef, pressing the pastry edges to seal at the base and trimming away any excess.
- Brush once with the egg wash and bake in a 375ºF oven for 25-30 minutes. Check halfway with a thermometer – internal temperature should be approximately 115ºF for medium rare. Pastry should be golden brown.
- Red Wine Sauce made with Brown Chicken stock.
- -1 pint Brown Chicken stock (or veal stock) Found in frozen section ,1/2 bottle (375 ml) of Red Wine
- In a small sauce pan, reduce the red wine until almost dry. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roasted Carrots, 8 baby Carrots, whole & peeled, 2 tbsp whole butter, room temperature,1 cup heavy cream, salt & white pepper.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20-30 minutes, until soft. Strain and let sit for 5-10 minutes until dry. Crush potatoes with a potato masher or fork and add butter and cream. Season with salt and white pepper.
- To serve, with a serrated knife slice the Wellington into equal portions. Arrange 2 slices of beef with the potatoes and carrots. Finish with the sauce before serving.