Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Art of Preserving, Jan Berry
Make and share this Gooseberry Jam recipe from Food.com.
- Remove and discard all the stems.
- Place the gooseberries in a jam pan or wide sauce pan. Add the water; cook over medium heat until gooseberries are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and lemon juice and keep stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn up the heat; bring mixture to a boil.
- Continue to cook rapidly until setting point is reached, about 45 minutes.
- Ladle into warm sterilized jars and seal.
Delicious and my kitchen smelled wonderful as the jam was cooking! Because gooseberries are so high in pectin I added 1/4 cup more water. It jelled beautifully! Also while the gooseberries are simmering in the water, put the sugar in a oven proof container and heat at 250 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Adding hot sugar to the gooseberry brew helps prevent sugar crystals from forming. During step 5, check the setting point after about 10-15 minutes of boiling--mine was ready after about 15 minutes of rapid boiling. This turned out so yummy I'm scouting up some more jars so I can make another batch.
Yummy, yummy! I loved how this jelled without pectin. It was very yummy both on biscuits and salmon!
Great recipe! makes delicious jam but I overcooked my first batch following the recipe to a 'T' and it turned out like leather! I went more by instinct on my 2nd try.... the 10 minutes the recipe states to cook the berries until soft I reduced to just 6-8 minutes and instead of the 45 minutes rapid boil time I only cooked jam for 15 minutes and it turned out great. I live in SW Iowa and due to all the rain there is an abundance of gooseberries this year. the ones i used for this recipe are almost as big as 'shooter' marbles! I also like recipes that give cup measurements along with the 'pounds' as in this case 2 pounds of gooseberries equals a good 4 cups of berries and the juice of one lemon = 1/4 cup of lemon juice. This recipe yielded 6 jelly-jar size of jam! I can't wait to share it with family and friends!