Recipe by HokiesMom
Okay - well they might not be good for you but they are Better For You Chocolate Muffins than a standard muffin. These use applesauce in place of oil, fat-free milk and egg substitute. I love the addition of the sliced almonds as called for in the original recipe but I've also used a white chocolate chip & peanut butter chips in it's place for a fun twist to the muffin. Original recipe was found in a Simple & Delicious flyer submitted by C. Gaus.
Top Review by MargaretsKitchen
These are my go to for a low fat chocolate treat! They are good. You can taste the apple sauce but considering their low fat state, I feel like it is a good trade off. I usually make mini muffins and figure each one has about 30 - 40 calories. I lost this recipe for a while and tried MANY MANY others and none I have found were even half as good as these! The only thing I change is substituting whole grain flour for white. I haven't noticed a difference.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (may use a substitute if you need to watch sugar intake too)
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (using almond extract is a nice twist too)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds (you may use a chopped almond too)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, milk, egg substitute and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened (do not over stir or your muffins will turn out too dense).
- Coat 12 muffins cups with non-stick spray or use a paper liner. Fill cups three-fourths full with batter.
- Sprinkle with the almonds (or you can use a white chocolate chip, peanut butter chip, chopped peppermints).
- Bake at 375*F for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done with a pick.
- Cool for 15 minutes before removing muffins from the baking cups and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.